Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] phpGroupWare - Possible License Breach

From: Dan Kuykendall
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] phpGroupWare - Possible License Breach
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2003 20:16:38 -0800

I think you need to slow down a bit Dave.

Dave Hall wrote:
Hi,

My name is Dave Hall and I am the Release Coordinator and a developer of
the gnu package phpGroupWare. We have become aware of a possible breach
of the GPL.

We have no evidence that they will not follow the rules of the GPL/LGPL in the case of phpGroupWare. The only thing we can tell is that it appears that they are selling a version of phpGroupWare which is perfectly legal and fine.

A company based in India, called TechnoInfosys is distributing a product
called "Webbased Groupware", which appears to be phpGroupWare.  The
promo page on their website makes no mention of phpGroupWare.  See
http://www.technoinfosys.com/products/webbased_groupware.html

Yes it appears to be phpGroupWare from my review as well.

I have made contact with the company about the product using their
contact us form on their website (see
http://www.technoinfosys.com/contact_us/contact_us.html), posing as a
prospective client. They responded in around 2 hours to this enquiry.
Their response is attached.

Since you acted as a client I do not see why they would have responded any differently.

After receiving a quote I became suspicious of their per server
licensing model. I emailed them informing them of their obligations
under the GPL and requesting a copy of the source. They have not
responded to my request.  This is also attached.

Again, since you came to them like a client then they rightfully gave you the quote you asked for. There is no issue in the GPL that would prevent them from charging on a per server licensing model. Nothing at all. The only requirement is that they must provide the source code to their version for free or for a nominal shipping/handling fee.

They are allowed to charge whatever their customers are willing to pay for it and there is no obligation I am aware of that they must advertise that its based on Free Software or that they will provide the source code upon request.

However, if we request the source for what they are distributing and they deny the request then we will have a valid violation to be concerned about and which will require more agressive discussion.

In the mean time we must deal with them in good faith and with the assumption that they will cooperate with us. It is important that we act on our best behavior in these situations because it could otherwise reflect badly on Free Software as a whole. We must not discourage companies from attempting to make a profit on Free Software so long as they follow the licensing and hopefully contribute back to the common good.
Remember that Free Software is Free as in freedom not free beer.

This matter has generated a lot of discussion between phpGroupWare
developers on #phpgroupware.

Much of it needless I assume at this point :-)

What steps should we take now?

I would prefer to take over this situation, since I am the official Spokesperson for phpGroupWare. I am confident that everything will be resolve amicably.

Looking forward to your response
:-p

Dan Kuykendall

Dave Hall (aka skwashd)