[Phpgroupware-developers] phpGroupWare - Possible License Breach

From: Dave Hall
Subject: [Phpgroupware-developers] phpGroupWare - Possible License Breach
Date: Wed, 08 Jan 2003 13:32:12 +1100

Hi,

My name is Dave Hall and I am the Release Coordinator and a developer of
the gnu package phpGroupWare. We have become aware of a possible breach
of the GPL.

A company based in India, called TechnoInfosys is distributing a product
called "Webbased Groupware", which appears to be phpGroupWare.  The
promo page on their website makes no mention of phpGroupWare.  See
http://www.technoinfosys.com/products/webbased_groupware.html

I have made contact with the company about the product using their
contact us form on their website (see
http://www.technoinfosys.com/contact_us/contact_us.html), posing as a
prospective client. They responded in around 2 hours to this enquiry.
Their response is attached.

After receiving a quote I became suspicious of their per server
licensing model. I emailed them informing them of their obligations
under the GPL and requesting a copy of the source. They have not
responded to my request.  This is also attached.

The company's details are as follows:
TechnoInfosys
A Div. of Technofinvestrade (I) Pvt. Ltd.
101/108, Arenja Arcade, Sector-17,
Vashi, Navi Mumbai. India - 400 705.
Tel : 91-22-55910977 / 0978
E-mail : address@hidden

This matter has generated a lot of discussion between phpGroupWare
developers on #phpgroupware.

We tried to discuss this matter on #gnu on irc.freenode.net, as
phpGroupWare is a gnu project, but received no response in two attempts.

What steps should we take now?

Looking forward to your response,

Dave Hall (aka skwashd)
Release Coordinator
phpGroupWare
--- Begin Message --- Subject: Re: Fw: Groupware details Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2003 10:39:26 +1100
Hi Sanjay,

My name is Dave Hall I am one of the phpGroupWare developers. I have
spent some time looking through the description of the groupware product
you offer. I noticed that it looks an awful lot like phpGroupWare.
phpGroupWare is licensed under the General Public License (GPL).

In accordnace with the relevant sections of the GPL i ask that you
provide me with a copy of the modified source code. I would also like
to seek clarification in regards to the License that you apply to the
product you distribute.

I would also like to extend an invitation to you (and others at
techinfosys) to participate in the development of phpGroupWare. I would
also ask that you consider making some donation to the project.

I look forward to your response.

Cheers

Dave Hall (aka skwashd)
Stable Release Coordinator