Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] template options - I looked in the archive

From: Dave Hall
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] template options - I looked in the archives - never saw anyone discussing smarty...
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 20:29:54 +1100

"Mitch (WebCob)" <address@hidden> wrote:

> http://smarty.php.net
>
> Seems to be a pretty solid contended - with it's caching support and
> "precompile" assembly of all the includes, it stands to make a biig
> performance boost in many apps - also integrates with accelerator
> technology...
>
> Did anyone look at this one?

I have looked at it.  I also looked at
http://www.phpinsider.com/php/code/Smarty/benchmarks/ :)

It looks like under when not running with an accelerater it really
struggles.  phpGroupware tries to minimize the number of dependancies
required to run ... and run well.

phplib (which our current templating system is based on) beats smarty
hands down in all unaccelerated tests - beats smart 1.5.x in half the
unaccelerated tests.

> Is there a reason to re-invent the wheel?

We try to not reinvent the wheel where possible.  It is my understanding
that xlst will be more flexible than any existing templating system.

I personally would be interested in seeing our new xlst system
benchmarked against smarty and other templating systems.  Would could
easily use the tests used in the benchmark -
http://www.phpinsider.com/benchmarks_phemplate/

Cheers

Dave