Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] template options - I looked in the archiv

From: Dan Kuykendall
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] template options - I looked in the archives - never saw anyone discussing smarty...
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 08:32:29 -0800

When we started the project we looked at smarty, which was pretty new at the time, and overall we felt that the phplib template class was easier to use. Since then smarty has gotten lots of cool features, and has improved a good deal. However, changing templating systems is not a small issue. It requires a considerable effort to port all the code, and must require much consideration of the options. Recently we did make the decision to switch templating systems. I already knew that simply switching to yet another html only template class would be useless so smarty and the rest like it were dismissed immediately. The real debate (you can look at the lists) was between eTemplates and my own XSLT template class. In the end the XSLT class won as our standard templating solution because of performance and the fact that XSLT is becoming very popular and we feel that it will help promote phpGW's adoption.

So thank you for the recommendation of smarty, but I personally think all such template solutions will lose out to XSLT in the next couple of years.

Seek3r

Mitch (WebCob) wrote:
http://smarty.php.net

Seems to be a pretty solid contended - with it's caching support and
"precompile" assembly of all the includes, it stands to make a biig
performance boost in many apps - also integrates with accelerator
technology...

Did anyone look at this one?

Is there a reason to re-invent the wheel?

humble regards,

m/