Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Re: SV: sitemgr - setup

From: Chris Weiss
Subject: Re: [Phpgroupware-developers] Re: SV: sitemgr - setup
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 22:03:38 +0000

address@hidden wrote*:
>But since, phpgroupware aims at running on different RDBMS, each
>application should try to prevent problems for users of all databases
>that have drivers in the API, wherever possible. Hence, I will replace
>'view' with 'viewable', if there are no objections.

Are you sure "viewable" isn't a reserved word in some other RDBMS?  The way most
apps handle different databases is to have seperate sql statements prepaired for
each database.  Where it's a problem, which it usualy isn't, this is a good
solution.  We can do it in a smart way like the template class does, have a
default
then override that for the special cases.  Again, this will also allow us to use
proceedures and other things to optimize for each database instead of trying to
be
generic, and often slower as a result.

>> This can be handled by the API.
>> First, auto makes perfect sence because the API translates it to each DB's
>> int+increment syntax.  All of the datatypes in schemaproc are translated to
>> the
>> best fit for each database it supports.
>
>I know this, but auto is wrong in this particular context. Since
>INSERTs to the table phpgw_sitemgr_active_modules do not rely on
>autoincrementing of the field, but always provide a value for it (it
>is a foreign key to another table).

Ah, yeah, using auto for a non-increment field is really not a good thing :)