Re: none

From: David Philippi
Subject: Re: none
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 18:23:40 +0200

On Friday 07 June 2002 17:54, Ingo Ruhnke wrote:
> It never was in boost, it was a self written thing from me, I just
> placed it there, since that was the place where all the other pointers
> where. The purbos of this class was to add a additional == 0 check on
> dereference.

Why? There is one - it's called signal 11. ;-)
Dereferencing a 0 pointer will yield a segfault with a core dump. If you then
just use "gdb pingus core", a simple "up" will show you where the segfault
occured and in case of a 0 pointer it will be very easy to recognise what's
the reason.

> I prefer the 'Sprite*' style, 'cause the above looks like a
> multiplication to me.

I can live with that, it's just that I tend to oversee the * if it's placed
direct behind the type and I've never though of multiplication when seeing
such a declaration. Normally they are at a place where a multiplications
isn't even allowed and there will usually be nothing to assign a result to
on the left. ;-)

BTW is there hope of reducing the numbers of shared_ptr<T> ? I'd guess that
those are one of the main reasons for the long compilation times since
templates are awfully slow to compile and boost uses quite every feature of
templates.