Re: Pingus -bugs?- under windows...

From: Ingo Ruhnke
Subject: Re: Pingus -bugs?- under windows...
Date: 26 Aug 2002 12:52:42 +0200

Alberto Curro <address@hidden> writes:

>   Another proposal, at least for Windows... why not, if music and
> sound are working and support will be improved, adding sound and
> music supports as defaults. Okay, it will take more bug reports from
> potential users/testers, but as people don't read the docs (at
> least, most windows users don't...) we will receive a lot of
> messages claiming for sound support. Then, two new parameteres
> (maybe --nosound, --nomusic?) will give users a chance to play
> without music, if they have troubles with it....

Music and sound will become default if it works mostly. At this point
I haven't tested the music support and most likly it will not work
correctly (for example the menu music continues currently in the
level, which it shouldn't, fade-in/out is missing).

>   As commented above, this could be only for windows version, it
> will not break the portability code (maybe a few more #ifdef WIN32
> clauses, but not more, no?), and it will help us to improve sound
> support as we will receive _real_ crashes related to sound /
> music. Also, some new exceptions to handle these situations will
> give us the opportunity to tell user "hey, it seems you have
> troubles with sound in the game... try adding --nosound to your app
> link?)

BTW. What about a little starter-app for Pingus under Windows, like
all those commercial games have? Since --nosound is a rather unusual
thing for Win32 people a little starter GUI where they can set these
flags would be cool.

>   .... and even a window that gives him the chance to send us a mail with
> debug-info? (I know, I know, this is _today_ more science fiction than
> reality given the state of the code, but it's an idea for next releases...).

We would need a way to get a back/stacktrace and debug output from
pingus to make this usefull, under GCC there is IIRC somefunction to
do that, not sure about Win32. This could find a good place in the
start-app.

>    About this point, I've played today in my father's PC with a new
> game, Far Scape, or something by the way.. it's not a really good
> game, but I saw some features I would like to have in some other
> games... one of these, no full screen intros, only
> windows... smaller, and with an 'ok' button; well though, I consider
> it's better idea than the lemmings's full introductory screens, and
> we won't need to have different images for the intros.

Not sure if I understand that. You mean instead of having a seperate
start-screen for a level, just have a small window in the worldmap
which shows the level details?

BTW. CVS will undergo some major reorganisation in the next few days,
so don't update your CVS copy at the moment.

--
ICQ: 59461927                                    http://pingus.seul.org |
Ingo Ruhnke <address@hidden>           http://pingus.seul.org/~grumbel/ |