Re: Digger's hole lip

From: Gervase Lam
Subject: Re: Digger's hole lip
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 00:56:10 +0100

As the code cannot be compiled at the moment, I'm trying to sort out the
Digger related things.

One of the Digger bugs listed on Savannah is that it is hard to do a Pingu
reverse trick by making a Pingu Dig and then Bridge.  With a little bit of
mathematical help, I've sorted this out by changing the shape in
digger_radius.png.

(By the way, I've noticed splodges in the middle of the various cutters
used in Pingus.  Is there any reason for this?)

With regards to darkening the edges of the hole, what I thought would be
best would be to change digger_radius_gfx.png so that it had variable
transparency using GIMP tools.  However, GIMP can only handle RBG images
variable transparency, not the GIMP indexed 8 bit images that Pingus can
handle.

So I asked about this in the GIMP newsgroup, and was told that a tool
called pngquant would convert a PNG file to 8 bit, with the variable
transparency being kept.  The tool for it is at the following site:

<http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/apps/pngquant.html>

However, whenever I try the new variable transparency PNG file, it just
leaves a white trail behind.  Reading the ClanLib FAQ, it says that it can
handle Alpha blending (i.e. Transparency).  Also, for some bizarre reason,
it seems to make Bashers leave whole or bits of white behind as well.

Any ideas?

I've attached both the digger_radius.png that makes the reverse trick
easier and the variable transparency digger_radius_gfx.png file.

Thanks,
Gervase.