Re: Digger's hole lip

From: Gervase Lam
Subject: Re: Digger's hole lip
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 23:19:43 +0100

On Wednesday 25 September 2002 09:22 am, you wrote:
> I commited your new shape as both gfx and colmap cutter, I think that
> is enough for the moment. The border fading will require a bit more
> work, would probally be good to prototype a bit in Gimp around to get

Instead of the darkening of the hole as you suggested, I thought a less
CPU intensive thing to do would be to keep the hole colmap cutter smooth
but roughen the edges of the hole gfx cutter.

OK, code wise it isn't as straightforward as that.  But hopefully you get
the idea.

With regards to the idea for getting rid of the lip/ledge at the bottom of
the hole by making the bottom of the hole curve outwards.  I think there
are problems with this idea.  The following are a few situations that
could happen (left is without hole, right is with).

(1)                     |    |
                        |    |
         ________       |    |_____
        |               |
        |               |
    ____|           ____|

(2) \          /     \    |    |   /
     \        /       \   |    |  /
      \      /         \  |    | /
       \    /           \ |    |/
        \  /             \|
         \/

(3) |            |    |   |     |  |
    |            |    |   |     |  |
    |     /\     |    |   |     |  |
    |    /  \    |    |   |     |  |

Also, you've got to consider that the above situations are just fixed
angles.  The angle between the vertical of the hole and the bottom corners
of the hole can be anything at all.

As you suggested, I'll leave this digger stuff for now.

Thanks,
Gervase