Roughening holes dug by Diggers

From: Gervase Lam
Subject: Roughening holes dug by Diggers
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 22:21:03 +0100

> From: Gervase Lam <address@hidden>
> Subject: Re: Digger's hole lip
> Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 23:19:43 +0100

> Instead of the darkening of the hole [made by a digger] as you
> suggested, I thought a less
> CPU intensive thing to do would be to keep the hole colmap cutter smooth
> but roughen the edges of the hole gfx cutter.

I was just wondering how this could be done with just one gfx cutter.  I
suppose you could load it in as a CL_SurfaceProvider then create a Canvas
for each one pixel high line in the gfx cutter.  The Canvases are then
converted into Surfaces.

After a Digger has dug the "first" pixel, the first line of the gfx cutter
is used.  After the "second" pixel is dug, the second line of the gfx
cutter is used and so on.

Unfortunately, CL_SurfaceProvider is needed because in is the only
practical way of going through a "surface" pixel by pixel (using
get_pixel).

Is it worth doing this, or is it better (if still annoying) to have a
"sprite" being the cutter with the first frame being 1 pixel high, the
second frame being 2 pixels high, and so on?  Obviously the pixels in the
first frame have to match those in the second etc...

Thanks,
Gervase.