Re: Blitter to make Pingus faster

From: Ingo Ruhnke
Subject: Re: Blitter to make Pingus faster
Date: 16 Oct 2002 03:12:05 +0200

Gervase Lam <address@hidden> writes:

>> 1) take the Blitter class and rewrite it in assembler or at least
>>    replace all the evil get_pixel()/draw_pixel() blitters with real
>>    ones that act directly on the data. (Note: these are only used to
>>    paint on the groundmap, normal Sprites which get drawn to the
>>    screen use ClanLib stuff)
>
> Use the Hermes library instead, which would by pass ClanLib?

Hermes in its current form doesn't have many working blitters, at
least as far as I know. The one it has should be useable via
CL_Surface::put_target(), but well that work sometimes and other times
it doesn't, it isn't really the most bug free part of clanlib.

Anyway, Hermes might be useable in a few situation, but keep in mind
that we also need a few special-purpose blitters that might not be
covered in Hermes (the remove_blitter, all the stuff inside the
colmap, etc).

PS: I have never really looked much into Hermes so I might be
completly wrong...

Games:    http://pingus.seul.org/~grumbel/gamedesigns/
JabberID: address@hidden
ICQ:      59461927