About the entrance problem

From: Gervase Lam
Subject: About the entrance problem
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 02:42:26 +0000

> From: David Philippi <address@hidden>
> Subject: About the entrance problem
> Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2002 20:21:28 +0200

> I'd opt for adding a global release rate modifier keys. If I remember
> rig= ht=20
> this feature was in the original lemmings too and if we go through with
> t= he=20
> plan to reduce the possibilies while in pause mode this becomes
> especiall= y=20
> important.
> I'd also like to have the option to control the speed of a level more
> fin= e=20
> grained then with pause and fast forward.
> A level should still define the starting and min/max speeds. If every
> thr= ee=20
> are set to the same value in a given level we'll have the current
> behavio= ur=20
> again.

As Craig Timpany pointed out later on, Fast Forward is just a different
version of Release Rate.  I think this is a good thing because it allows
each entrance to have different release rates in relation to one another.
(Well, I had thought of a way of having entrance variable release rates
that players can "control", but this is simpler).

I like the above idea of having a "continuously" variable speed control.
This would basically get rid of the pause and fast forward buttons.

Unfortunately this type of feature brings back that ugly question of
"pause mode" not allowing a player to apply actions in one extreme or
pause mode being too powerful in the other.  With a "continuously"
variable control, it is hard to stop a player applying actions in a
"powerful" way.

Hmmm.  May be if the game is slowed down, action application is also
slowed down.  During normal speed, a player can't physically actions
extremely quickly.  So, if the game slowed down, slow down the application
speed as well.

I have absolutely no idea how this can be done at the moment.  And don't
think it is simple either.  Just a very vague thought that went into my
head...

Thanks,
Gervase.