Re: Incorrect info in final tutorial, non-standard keymapping and report

From: David Philippi
Subject: Re: Incorrect info in final tutorial, non-standard keymapping and reporting bugs.
Date: 18 Apr 2003 16:06:52 +0200

Am Fre, 2003-04-18 um 15.26 schrieb Revenant:
> * The final tutorial states in the description that you only need to
> save 3 Pingus when you actually need to save 5.

Already done in CVS.

> * Although my keyboard is set to the Dvorak layout I note that the
> keymapping seems to default to QWERTY.

In how far does this show? I don't know how Pingus should change your
keymapping, so we'll need more information to figure out what's the
matter. Unless someone else knows more about this...?

> * I find that the process to report bugs is too time consuming and
> difficult.  I'm not a programmer, but I wanted to help this great Free
> Software project by letting it know about a couple of bugs (also some
> grammatical errors, but they seem to be already under discussion).  The
> only way to email this one short email was to join the developer's list.

You may post to the list without beeing subscribed. If you want to know
what's under discussion you'll have to join the list. It's fairly low
traffic so no problems here.

> Not only is it a pain to have to subscribe, send a bug report, then
> unsubscribe, but there's no way to tell if my bugs have been reported
> before without digging through months worth of digests.  So for all I
> know, the hassle wasn't even necessary.

Well, that may always happen. Even if there's a searchable archiv of
everything you may still have searched with the wrong name. It's nice
that you try not to report bugs already reported but so far it won't
pose a problem.

> There are a number of web-based Free Software bug tracking / project
> management tools that would enable you to more effectively manage the
> users who just want to drop you simple bug reports.

Do you mean something like:
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?group=pingus
The link is only in the development section, but I don't think it should
be in the user section anyway. So what exactly is your problem? If you
want to help improving Pingus, just suggest what could be done better.
To me your mail doesn't sound very polite at all and so I must say:
Reporting bugs may require some work, fixing them requires much more.