Re: Incorrect info in final tutorial, non-standard keymapping and report

From: David Philippi
Subject: Re: Incorrect info in final tutorial, non-standard keymapping and reporting bugs.
Date: 18 Apr 2003 16:49:19 +0200

Am Fre, 2003-04-18 um 16.19 schrieb Neil Mitchell:
> I think the original person probably has a point, most users won't go to the
> hassle of reporting bugs, even when its as simple as just clicking on a
> button. A lot fewer will bother finding an email address, subscribing to a
> list, checking for duplicate bug reports etc. Its probably best to point out
> on the website that you can send without being subscribed to the list, or a
> nice little form to email a problem.

May be that I'm a little too touchy in that matter, but I've been
exposed to quite a lot of people who just take the work you do for them
and search for flaws. By now, I've adopted the habit to ignore those and
not to care for their problems at all. If you report problems and
nothing happens you may get angry about the guys on the other side, but
not in the first report please.
Maybe that some people will only use your software if you make
everything as easy as possible to them, but I'm not sure wheter I should
care about them using code I worked on or not. If someone considers it
too much work to subscribe to a ML, do you think you'll get usefull
bugreports from that person? If so, have you ever been subscribed to a
ML/newsgroup that is flooded with questions or demands that could be
answered with a little RTFM?
Since I'm not the only one who work's on Pingus I'll try not to scare
away too many users. Is one per week ok? ;-)