Re: Fwd: locale problem

From: cagri coltekin
Subject: Re: Fwd: locale problem
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 00:15:04 +0200

On Tue, Apr 22, 2003 at 07:46:24PM +0200, Milan Babuskov wrote:

> >>I've investigated things a bit further. On my RedHat system, I don't get
> >>anything besides german. On my Gentoo linux, I can activate de, fr, it,
> >>tr but neither sv nor sr nor cs. It definitely seems to be related to
> >>how your system is configured, in particular how glibc was compiled.
> >

> >Well, I got it wrong. I just manage to see the serbian translation - I
> >just had to search for quite a while to find out that I need to export
> >LANG=sr_YU. Just setting sr doesn't do any good and sr_SR makes no
> >difference.
>
> Sorry about that, I could have told you.
>
> So, you think that we should try recompiling glibc?

Distributions have different ways to distribute the locale
definitions. Normally they are ASCII text files defining various
conventions for your language and area. They need to be compiled
to some binary format to be used by libc. Some distributions
include all compiled files, others allow you to specify which
ones you want compiled. However, most of them distribute the
all available source forms.

This is done by 'localedef' program. If you check your
localedef(1) man page, you should be able to find some way to
compile it.

    localedef -i sr_YU -c -f ISO-8859-2 sr_YU -A /etc/locale.alias

worked for me. You'll need a ascii definition file 'sr_YU' as
input, if it is not in some place localedef looks by default,
locate/find is your friend (it is /usr/share/i18n/locales/sr_YU
on my debian box).

I could run pingus with LANG=sr_YU, cs_CZ, and sv_SE (without
special latin2 accents for the first two), everything was in
Serbian/Czech/Swedish I guess (btw, for Serbian console message
says: 'gettext jezik: engleski', and Swedish translations does the
same as well, shouldn't these be 'srpski', and 'svenska'? :-).

Cheers,
--
cagri