Some comments on levels

From: Boris Boutillier
Subject: Some comments on levels
Date: 23 Apr 2003 10:31:43 +0200

Hi all,

Applause for all the work on Pingus, I think this is becoming a great
linux game, now that I've played a little with it ( I was quite fond of
lemmings), I'd like to help by contributing to this great project.

I can help with the C part, even if I am much more fluent in Python :),
but my first contribution will be as a player, I joined to this post
some comments on the hellmouth level series, and I'll continue to review
other levels. If you have some other ideas of how feedbacks can be done
I'll do them.

Here I'll do some additionnal general comments over the game:

First the good points:
        - Great graphics, these pingi are fun to play with
        - Tutorial is a good introduction, and has a good learning curve.
Some seen bugs:
        I'll just give here one that I didn't see in all the bug reports I read
, it is that if you pause the game and you affect a new action to a
pingus, if he was moving to the right the affected sprite is the one for
the left direction, of course when you unpause it goes in the right
direction. I'll fix it when I'll got some time.

Some possible improvements in my own opinion:
        - The space key should be affected to 'pause', as for medium-very hard
levels you are always using it.
        - For me when playing pingus or lemming I'm solving puzzle, and when
you solve a puzzle you don't like unseen interactions. In this way I
think teleporter arrival should be visible, black holes, also,
interaction between buttons and doors should be also visible (which
button opens which door). Because in all levels with such element I lost
4 minutes just sending 1 pingus in all places to see effectively what is
the real level, and then, I restart the level and start thinking about
how to solve it.

Ok, this is my first contribution, hope it'll help. I'll go on for some
more comments, and some french traductions as I'm a french :)

Boris