Re: Languages general question

From: Björn Fischer
Subject: Re: Languages general question
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 12:19:34 +0200

If you look over the recent threads, you'll see that in linux you need
support from glibc for the language you want. Since you're in windows -
it doesn't work yet. That's the topmost point on my Pingus ToDo, but
since it requires working with Windows/Visual Studio, my motivation is
pretty low. :-(

Alright, I digged myself a little bit through the gettext manual. I now know how to compile the .po-files to .mo files. I linked pingus against a win32 gettext library (sources from http://sourceforge.net/projects/gettext). An now I thought just putting the de.mo file into <basedir>/../../locale and setting a LANG=de_DE environment variable would make my pingus german, but it did't :-((( Arlight, I could have guessed that...

The main Problem for me is right now, that setlocale(LC_MESSAGES, "") still fails. I'm afraid I don't have any Idea what this function call is good for. Even having a look at the latter threads about that problem and asking the MSDN docu didn't give me more info... Is it necessary for gettext to have this LC_MESSAGES stuff done? Or is it some linux specific thing we can #ifdef for win32?

Thanx for some little hints :-)

Greetings

Björn