Re: Languages general question

From: David Philippi
Subject: Re: Languages general question
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 14:00:33 +0200

Björn Fischer wrote:
The main Problem for me is right now, that setlocale(LC_MESSAGES, "") still fails. I'm afraid I don't have any Idea what this function call is good for. Even having a look at the latter threads about that problem and asking the MSDN docu didn't give me more info... Is it necessary for gettext to have this LC_MESSAGES stuff done? Or is it some linux specific thing we can #ifdef for win32?

Internationalization is divided into multiple parts, e.g. LC_NUMERIC, LC_CTYPE... which cover different aspects of i18n. LC_MESSAGES is a special mode which is only used from funcions like gettext because if you set LC_CTYPE, every call to sprintf(), tolower() or any other function working on strings will use the current locale settings. Some languages are different enough to create strange results here. Unfortunaltely, LC_MESSAGES is NOT part of the ISO C90 or ISO C++98 standards (I'm not sure about ISO C99, but that's not relevant to us in any case). If VC6 doesn't support it, we have the options of using VC7 if it does or to find a way around using LC_MESSAGES. This means we'd have to use LC_CTYPE and solve the problems this creates.