Re: Inconsistent fall survival & jumpers bouncing off

From: Gervase Lam
Subject: Re: Inconsistent fall survival & jumpers bouncing off
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 00:49:12 +0000

Attached is the cvs diff of the changes and zipped up new files I have
made.  Most of it is in connection with allowing Bombers to move in
mid-air.

It also sorts out the inconsistent dying of fallers.  Try the fallers.plf
level before and after applying the patch.  The Pingus should all die from
falling except the two sets of Pingus to the left of the Danger arrow.

Two other minor things I sorted out:

(1) I was possible to stop a Bomber from counting down and therefore
blowing up by turning it into a Jumper.  I've now made it so that no
changes are allowed on Bombers.

I've done a similar thing to Drowners.  However, though it uses up a
Jumper action, it doesn't save the Pingu from drowning.  Nevertheless, I
have done a fix for it plus for a few other actions.

(2) Before allowing Bombers to bounce a little, I found that the Pingus
splashed onto solid ground twice sometimes.  This was because the Pingu as
a Faller would splash into the ground.

After the countdown for a Bomber had reached zero, the Bomber action
itself would start.  However, there was also code in the Bomber action to
start splashing the Pingu if it hit the ground too fast.  So, what was
happening was that the splash from the fall was being interrupted by the
splash from the bomber action.

To sort this out, I've added a flag to the Pingu Actions.  By default, a
countdown action (i.e. Bomber) is allowed to interrupt a Pingu Action.
However, some actions like Bombers, Exiters, Drowners etc..., this default
is overridden.

I think that's all the fixes I can remember doing, apart from decreasing
the acceleration due to gravity.

Thanks,
Gervase.