Re: [Pingus-Devel] Pingus on Mac OS X

From: Dave Vasilevsky
Subject: Re: [Pingus-Devel] Pingus on Mac OS X
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 21:33:29 -0400

On 10/18/07, Ingo Ruhnke <address@hidden> wrote:
> Ok, commited it with a few small changes.

Thanks.

> [snip some talk about CPPPATH]

Unfortunately the Options system of scons seems strangely designed.
The converter and validator functions are expected to be able to
receive input in several different formats:
- The text that the user gave as the option's value
- The object returned by the converter
- The text dump of the object from the converter
- The text result of substituting the object into the Environment
(which appears to damage data with unusual characters)

I'm very surprised that after much googling and asking around, I have
yet to find some standard solution for passing paths and flags to
scons at the command line. My _SpaceListOptionClass is an ugly hack to
try to deal properly with all these situations, and it seems to work
for now. But it would be great if we could replace it with something
that's elegant and maintainable.

Worst case, I suppose we could just do something like:

for v in ['CPPPATH', 'LIBPATH', 'etc']:
  if os.environ.has_key(v):
    env.['ENV'][v] = os.environ[v].split(':')

Dave