Re: [Pingus-Devel] Interface rework

From: Tomas Blaha
Subject: Re: [Pingus-Devel] Interface rework
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2008 13:33:35 +0200 (CEST)

On Sun, 6 Jul 2008, Ingo Ruhnke wrote:

> I am currently planing on reworking/cleaning up the interface a bit, I
> have something like this in mind:
>
> http://pingus.seul.org/~grumbel/tmp/md5/4b734776e15058b89643e33aaf77bcc5-menuredesign.png
>
> One problem with this interface is that it will block a part of the
> level. In some levels that can be handled by adding a bit of water at
> the bottom, in others that might not be possible. For normal gameplay
> that isn't an issue, since levels are already designed to not have
> gameplay near the level border, but when a player wants to dig down so
> far he of course shouldn't be stopped. My current solution for this
> would be a way to hide the interface (via little arrows in the
> corner).
>
> Any comments or other suggestions?

Maybe it could also be easy to allow user grab the panel and move it to
the top border, just like I can grab panel in KDE. (I mean only two
distinct positions, not free move.)

Oh and please leave enough space for "released/out/saved", in some
translations it is quite hard to fit.

> Some alternative interfaces experiments:
>
> http://pingus.seul.org/~grumbel/tmp/md5/d29a63b264637801693faf23bdb22028-menuredesign.png
> http://pingus.seul.org/~grumbel/tmp/md5/027def00be8c40faa796627b4421dc35-menuredesign.png
> http://pingus.seul.org/~grumbel/tmp/md5/8868e80a330317ab3c6841f8b88a342e-menuredesign.png
> http://pingus.seul.org/~grumbel/tmp/md5/48b47dc107dd3bb9bd520f4d96a85262-menuredesign.png

As you probably already figured out, there is not necesary to have more
than three action buttons:

- armageddon button
- pause and play buttons can alternate in the same place depending
  on whether the game is paused or not
- fast forward and one step button can alternate too, fast forward when
  playing and one step when game is paused

--

Tomáš Bláha

e-mail:   tomas.blaha at kapsa.cz
JabberID: tomiiik at jabber.cz