Re: [Pingus-Devel] Instant Bomber activation

From: Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña
Subject: Re: [Pingus-Devel] Instant Bomber activation
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2011 03:06:47 +0200

On Tue, Sep 06, 2011 at 09:38:19PM +0200, Ingo Ruhnke wrote:

> The goal of this change is to reduce annoyance in some puzzles that
> expect precise bomber timing and to simply have a more responsive
> game, it's always more fun when stuff happens when you click on it.
> This also removes the need for the blocker->bomber combination when
> one wants to have a precise explosion, which I never liked much to
> begin with, as it's repetitive and not very clever.

First of all: thanks for working on Pingus.

On the bomber issue, making it more easy might actually spoil the fun for
some. It's been a while since I played and maybe this has been tried before
but how about doing this:

- one click: sets the bomber in countdown mode
- double click a bomber (or another click to a bomber with the 'bomber'
  ability): make it explode inmediately

This would be a way to keep the "old style" behaviour while allowing for
users to still have control.

> Can anybody think of any negative consequences that would have for
> puzzles? Or any other reason to keep a countdown?

Hopefully the bombing countdown when selecting the "nuclear bomb" button will
not get removed. It is fun and helps vent frustation :)  Call me crazy, but
having
them explode in random places with the countdown above their heads was
actually fun to watch!

Regards

Javier