platform-testers

Re: [platform-testers] Release candidate mpc-1.3.0rc2

From: sisyphus
Subject: Re: [platform-testers] Release candidate mpc-1.3.0rc2
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2022 10:49:33 +1100

On Wed, Dec 7, 2022 at 12:43 AM Paul Zimmermann <Paul.Zimmermann@inria.fr> wrote:
       Dear Rob,

mpc_abs(NaN+I*Inf) = Inf is consistent with hypot(qNaN,Inf) = Inf in IEEE 754,

Hi Paul,

Then, I suppose my point is that the mpc_abs() implementation is inconsistent with the basic definition of doing sqrt(NaN^2 + Inf^2).
Given that hypot(qNaN, Inf) = Inf, I wonder if hypot() is really the correct function for mpc_abs() to be using for these specific values.
Anyway - it's a fairly inconsequential quibble, and you guys are better judges of this than I am.

BTW, I didn't know that IEEE 754 had decreed that Inf trumps NaN in this one case.

Cheers,
Rob