pspp-dev

Re: very long string support

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: very long string support
Date: Fri, 05 May 2006 21:25:12 -0700

> One complication of reworking, is that sfm_open_reader will have to
> modify the fv variable of all the very long strings.  I don't think
> that's going to cause any problems, but I'm not sure ...

I think you mean that it has to do this because read_variables()
won't know the true width of very long strings; it doesn't learn
those until it reaches the extension record that says what they
are.  At that point it can assign ->width and derive the right
->nv from it.

If that's the problem, then there's already a function that will
take care of assigning proper ->fv values for you, once you've
modified the ->nv members to their final values:
dict_compact_values().  Yes, the name is misleading because it
wasn't intended for this usage, but I think it does exactly what
you want.
--
"Ho ho ho. I _so_ enjoy making a fool out of myself."
--Linus, on Christmas Day, 2000