pspp-dev

Re: cleaned up VLS support

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: cleaned up VLS support
Date: Sun, 7 May 2006 10:34:23 +0800

On Sat, May 06, 2006 at 07:30:50PM -0700, Ben Pfaff wrote:
     I happened to be looking at my pspp-cvs folder just when your
     commit happened.  Thanks for reworking that.  It looks much
     better.  I do have a couple of additional comments:

             * Now width_to_bytes() is only used in the
               sys-file-reader/writer, could it be moved into one of
               those files (or create a new one for common code)?

Yes.  I did consider that.  Perhaps declare the in sfm-private.h ?

             * compare_var_shortnames() and hash_var_shortname() are
               complex, but I don't understand why they can't just
               call, respectively, strcmp() and hsh_hash_string().  Is
               something tricky going on?

That's how they were originally, and valgrind showed up some read
errors.  The problem is, that shortnames are not necessarily null
terminated, which complicates things.

J'

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3