pspp-dev

Workspace

From: John Darrington
Subject: Workspace
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2006 08:46:39 +0800

On Wed, Nov 01, 2006 at 09:09:03PM -0800, Ben Pfaff wrote:

     For most purposes, cases should be limited only by the amount of
     disk space you have available, with a hard limit of about 2
     billion cases.  Increased RAM will speed up operations, if you
     allow PSPP to use that RAM with SET WORKSPACE.

On the subject of SET WORKSPACE ...

PSPP's notion of "workspace" is quite different to that of spss.
We use it to mean the maximum size of casefiles before they will be
dumped to disk, whereas spss uses it to mean the maximum size of
memory to be used for calculations.

If we were to implement SET WORKSPACE to emulate spss, then we should
use setrlimit (RLIMIT_AS, ...)  or perhaps to set a maximum size of a
memory pool used for procedures.

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3