pspp-dev

Re: release plans

From: Kevin Smith
Subject: Re: release plans
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 22:03:01 -0500 (EST)

Hello,

My name is Kevin Smith. I am a Ph.D. psychologist, and statistician. I have been monitoring the this list for some time watching the progress of the application development. I have a few thoughts on some of the ideas that Jason mentioned below. First, reading SAS data sets is not a simple task. SAS data sets or specific to major version, bit ordering and operating system (in some cases anyhow). One of the major problems that I have run in to as a SAS user is that old data can no longer be read by newer versions of SAS, and thus users with such data are left with no options. I can see a potential market for an application which can read such data, but I also know that the file formats for SAS datasets (even the old ones) are considered trade secrets. I assume that getting SPSS data formats is equally as difficult as SAS doesn't read SPSS data. Is what Jason is suggesting really feasible? As far as syntax files, certainly SAS syntax is just plain text. I don't have a lot of experience with language parsers but SAS and SPSS aren't fully comparible in terms of what algorithms are used on a huge range of functions. Nor is data handled in the same manner, so I am uncertain how feasible this idea is. Perhaps you might consider a compiled (or pre-piled) cross platform macro language. Protection of intellectual property that is found in macros is a fairly big deal. Big enough that SAS is trying to implement an encryption, but nothing like macros of format libraries are cross platform or even typically cross version compatible so that is an area where you might draw in some users.

Just my two cents...

-Kevin