pspp-dev

Re: [patch #5653] Make the GUI's data sheet update itself properly, Phas

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: [patch #5653] Make the GUI's data sheet update itself properly, Phase 2
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2007 08:43:34 +0900

On Sun, Dec 31, 2006 at 11:05:02PM +0000, Ben Pfaff wrote:

     I didn't quite understand the change to src/ui/gui/syntax-editor.c.  Are we
     assured that there is always a data source at this point?  If not, then
this
     is likely to confuse some commands.

There are a number of issues here.

1. Basically, the answer to your question is yes.  In the GUI
environment, there is always a data source.  But it might be one
with no cases and no variables.  The  source is whatever has been
typed in to the data and variable sheets (which might be nothing).

2. I'm wondering if the third argument to cmd_parse is really needed.
Would it not make more sense to have a state variable in struct
dataset instead?   If this variable had the same type as the state
variable in struct command, then it would simplify
src/language/command.c ; the in_correct_state and
report_state_mismatch functions in this file seem overly complex too
me.

3. This highlights an incompatibility between PSPP and spss (at least
later versions thereof).

In PSPP it is possible to run syntax such as

DATA LIST LIST /x *.
BEGIN DATA.
1
2
END DATA.

DATA LIST LIST /y *.
BEGIN DATA.
3
4
END DATA.

whereas in the Other Software, this is not allowed, unless one puts
NEW FILE. before the second DATA LIST command.

I'm not sure that other software allows the following either:

DATA LIST LIST /x *.
LIST.
BEGIN DATA.
1
2
END DATA.

Which we have in several places in our tests.

J'

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3