pspp-dev

Re: status report

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: status report
Date: Sat, 12 May 2007 08:43:42 +0800

On Fri, May 11, 2007 at 02:12:31PM -0700, Ben Pfaff wrote:
     I guess there are two issues here.  First the GUI in the
     simpler-proc branch.  I have modified it only enough to hook it
     into the datasheet code and make it compile.  I haven't even
     tried running it and so as you say I imagine it doesn't work.  I
     will be sure to debug it before proposing a merge, although it's
     possible that I'll need some debugging help.

     Second the idea of cutting up gtksheet.  Is this independent of
     the simpler-proc merge or is there some connection?

I guess the problem is that I'm not too sure how intricately entwined
the two issues may be.  I'd been unhappy about the way the
datasheet/gtksheet/datastore worked (or didnt work) for some time, but
there wasn't much point in doing anything about it until we had good
backend for the data.  Now that we've got such a backend, it'll be
worth attempting to fix the front end.

In order to merge the branch, one approach would be to hammer the
gtksheet &c until it fits around the datasheet, but I'm not sure how
much effort this will be, and if we do that, I suspect that a lot of
the code we need to write will be shortly discarded.

The other approach is to take a good look at how gtksheet,
gsheetmodel, gsheet-{row,column}-iface, psppire-data-store and
datasheet all interact, and devise a better way.  The question is, is
it better to do that in the branch before we merge, or in the trunk
after we merge?

I'm tending towards the former, but happy to discuss it.

J'

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3