pspp-dev

Re: Merging PSPP and GRETL?‎

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: Merging PSPP and GRETL?‎
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 06:28:56 +0800

On Mon, May 28, 2007 at 04:47:11PM +0200, Andreas Karlsson wrote:

  Have you checked out the GRETL (http://gretl.sourceforge.net/)
  software? It is another open source statistical software. Just like
  PSPP it is a GNU project, licensed according to the GNU GPL and
  programmed in C.

  Wouldn’t it be a good idea to merge PSPP and GRETL? It would probably
  not be too hard, considering that both are GNU GPL and programmed in
  C.

I suggest there would be  a lot of administrative and political
problems to overcome if we were to do this.  Not least because, the
copyright in GRETL is owned by its respective authors, whereas PSPP's
copyright is owned by the FSF.

That said, one of the things I'm hoping to improve on is the number of
import/export filters which will allow PSPP to read, write and
otherwise interact with other free software (such as GRETL).

Thanks for the suggestion.

J'

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3