pspp-dev

Re: branch proposal

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: branch proposal
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2008 10:22:04 -0700

> I think we've discussed this long enough.  We ought to go ahead and
> make that branch.

OK, done.  I created a "stable" branch that is currently
identical to master.  If you do "git fetch origin" you'll see it.

> PS:  I've always thought of branches as having a parent-child
> relationship to other branches.  Is there any meaning to such
> relationships in the git model?   How does making a branch in git
> differ, from the user's point of view, from making a completely new
> copy of the repository (if at all)?

A branch in Git is, as you say, essentially a new copy of the
repository.  Insofar as branches can have a good deal of common
history, or even be identical, branches can have relationships,
but there is nothing in Git that enforces or manages branch
relationships.
--
"doe not call up Any that you can not put downe."
--H. P. Lovecraft