pspp-dev

sav files with attributes

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: sav files with attributes
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2008 10:44:37 -0700

SPSS 14 added the DATAFILE ATTRIBUTE and VARIABLE ATTRIBUTE
commands, which added two new extension records (subtypes 17 and
18) to the .sav file format.  My current idea for the new output
subsystem involves metadata added via these attributes, so as a
first step I'm adding support for attributes to PSPP.  This
should not be hard.  But so far, I've only been able to find 3
.sav files in the wild (via web searches) that have attributes in
them.  Do you have any around?

If you don't have any, but do have a copy of SPSS to experiment
with, I would like to look at a .sav file that contains
attributes that have the following in them: double quotes ("),
unbalanced single quotes ('), and line feeds.  I think that the
following syntax would be sufficient:

DATA LIST /dummy 1.
BEGIN DATA.
1
END DATA.
DATAFILE ATTRIBUTE
  ATTRIBUTE=dquote1('"x"')
            dquote2('"y')
            squote1("'x'"),
            squote2("'y"),
            linefeed(X'4142430A444546').
SAVE OUTFILE='x.sav'.
--
Positronic Functional Android Fabricated for Fighting