pspp-dev

Re: Start moving to GtkBuilder ?

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: Start moving to GtkBuilder ?
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2009 20:57:00 -0800

> The advantages of such a move include:
> [...]

Sounds good to me.

> Disadvantages include:
>
> * Relies on Gtk 2.12 (not in Debian stable).

Debian testing is due to be released any month now.  It has GTK+
2.12.11.  So this may not be a big deal.

> * An extra step will be required in the Makefile to convert from
>   .glade to .ui files.

>From what I see in the GtkBuilder FAQ at
http://www.micahcarrick.com/05-30-2008/gtk-builder-libglade-faq.html,
this doesn't sound like a big deal.  Presumably, we just write a
makefile rule like
         .ui.glade:
                $(CONVERTER) < $< > $@
or whatever.  (I haven't tried it.)

> * I've heard there's an outstanding bug relating to Toolbars in
>   GtkBuilder, so we'd have to work around it.

We're already working around bugs, or at least omissions, in
libglade.  I guess that the bugs in GtkBuilder won't be any
worse.  (Then again, we already know where the bugs are in
libglade.)
--
Aim to please, shoot to kill.