pspp-dev

Re: Outputting .sav files

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: Outputting .sav files
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2009 20:44:38 -0800

> On Fri, Jan 02, 2009 at 10:25:34PM -0800, Ben Pfaff wrote:
>      The list here looks pretty extensive:
>          http://demo.icu-project.org/icu-bin/convexp?s=WINDOWS
>
> I wasn't previously aware of this library.  But it seems that the
> maintainers have really done their research, and are putting in
> a serious effort. Furthermore,  a little digging suggests that recent
> versions of spss use it.   How about we use it too?  It's
> another dependency of course ....

I'm nervous about the added dependency.

iconv, gettext, and gnulib, taken together, have quite a few
tools for working with encodings and character sets.  If we add
glib, there are a few more.  If we added (or substituted) ICU,
what could we do better, or with much greater convenience, than
without it?

(This is a serious question.  I'm not trying to argue against
ICU, at least not yet; I don't think I understand yet what using
it would buy us.)
--
Ben Pfaff
http://benpfaff.org