pspp-dev

Re: Outputting .sav files

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: Outputting .sav files
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 16:35:25 +0900

It would give us (more) assurance that any arbitrary .sav file could
be properly decoded by pspp.

Currently we have two problems:

1. If the "codepage" field of the file species (say) 567, we don't
know to what encoding it refers.

2. Even if we find out somehow that codepage 567 means (say) "KOI8-U",
that doesn't help unless a locale with that encoding happends to be
installed  on the system.

The ICU library will fix  both these problems (at least I think it
will, I haven't looked at it in detail yet).

In general, iconv, gettext et al have been designed to do i18n
properly from the ground up, whereas  ICU appears to be intended to
assist compatibility with legacy data which is the situation we have
with sys files.

J'