pspp-dev

Re: Introduction

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: Introduction
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2009 13:45:32 -0800

> Having said that, I'm not convinced that Texinfo is the most suitable
> format for documentation which contains lots of graphics, which of
> course  would be rather essential for a manual for PSPPIRE, especially
> for the online help documents.  I think some kind of docbook format
> might be better, but I'm not very experienced there.

Texinfo does OK with graphics, if you just want to include them
between paragraphs of text.  Where it becomes a poor choice is
when you want to have them alongside text or in figures separate
from the text; it doesn't support that kind of thing at all.  I
guess that the PSPPIRE documentation will be this kind of
document, where Texinfo is not a good choice.

I think DocBook might be a good choice for PSPPIRE documentation.
The GNOME documentation appears to be DocBook-based, so we'd be
in good company.
--
Ben Pfaff
http://benpfaff.org