pspp-dev

Re: Introduction

From: unknown-1
Subject: Re: Introduction
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 2009 12:02:14 +0100

>Angela Oppenheim <address@hidden> writes:

>> I am an aspiring technical writer and was introduced to this
>> list through Karl Barry and John Darrington. I hope to help
>> with documentation on the PSPP project.
>
>Hi Angela. I am glad to hear that you would like to help out
>with PSPP documentation. We can use the help. Thank you!

Nice to hear somebody offers help.

I myself think a good introduction would be helpful. Something like "Starting with PSPP" or "PSPPIRE for dummies" (the last is most likely copyrighted).

And now a more difficult point. I myself would like to see the documentation in English in html form on a website. If it is available this way, the user can use the google translate
service to have it available in there own language. It might be easy to create a webpage with this translations like:

Dutch: http://translate.google.nl/translate?hl=nl&sl=en&u=http://www.gnu.org/software/pspp/manual/html_node
Italian: http://translate.google.it/translate?hl=it&sl=en&u=http://www.gnu.org/software/pspp/manual/html_node
German: http://translate.google.de/translate?hl=de&sl=en&u=http://www.gnu.org/software/pspp/manual/html_node
France: http://translate.google.fr/translate?hl=fr&sl=en&u=http://www.gnu.org/software/pspp/manual/html_node
Portugees: http://translate.google.pt/translate?hl=pt&sl=en&u=http://www.gnu.org/software/pspp/manual/html_node
Spanish http://translate.google.es/translate?hl=es&sl=en&u=http://www.gnu.org/software/pspp/manual/html_node
Polish http://www.google.pl/translate?hl=pl&sl=en&u=http://www.gnu.org/software/pspp/manual/html_node
Russian http://www.google.ru/translate?hl=ru&sl=en&u=http://www.gnu.org/software/pspp/manual/html_node
Turkish http://translate.google.com.tr/translate?hl=tr&sl=en&u=http://www.gnu.org/software/pspp/manual/html_node
etc.

There are some issues with this.
- I don't know if this is legal. But I don't see which copyright is violated by this use.
- I have no idea what the GNU people think of this.
- The automatic translation is not good, but, it is better than noting. I know of people not able to understand a technical page in english and with this service they are able to ubderstand more or less what it says
Besides experienced users can issue a better translation to google. (I have no experience with that) My impression is that this google service will improve fast.
- ......

The benefit is that the translations are available and up-to-date, the drawback is they are not good.

BTW In my opinion, the program itself still needs a translation by a human.
If a PSPPIRE manual is avialable the translator can look in the automatic translation and use the same words in his translation of the program. (Strange way to handle, but a user wil be happy with a consequent use of words.)

I wonder what the list thinks about this.

Have fun