pspp-dev

Non-ascii character representation [Was Re: Stable 20090129 compiled to

From: John Darrington
Subject: Non-ascii character representation [Was Re: Stable 20090129 compiled to windows]
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 09:54:48 +0900

On Wed, Feb 04, 2009 at 08:12:27PM -0200, Michel Boaventura wrote:

     Other issue is that the program doesn't deal with Latin characters,
     like "???" both in filename and label/var name.

Let's leave the issue of filenames to one side for the moment.

Non-ascii characters in label names, variable names and strings
*should* be properly dealt with.  However issues can arise if the
program is told that a string has one particular coding when, in fact,
it has another.  (This is an unfortunate fact of history).

I'm aware that non-ascii strings in syntax files might not be
correctly interpreted, but data entered into the gui should be
interpreted correctly. (subject to correct encoding)

Can you elaborate a little more on the problems you've experienced?

What is a typical use case where a Brazilian user will experience
problems?

If you download the file at
http://savannah.gnu.org/file/databas.sav?file_id=1906 do you see it
displayed correctly?  (I have to run "export LANG=en_AU.ISO-8859-1"
since that file is encoded in latin1 whereas my system default is
UTF8)

J'

--
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3