pspp-dev

Re: want to write a perl module for Statistics of pspp

From: 老邪
Subject: Re: want to write a perl module for Statistics of pspp
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2010 10:53:13 +0800

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 1:39 AM, John Darrington <address@hidden> wrote:
There is a PSPP "developers guide" (see the doc/dev dir) which might help you.
However don't expect it to be fully complete.

i'm reading on it. see how much can i learn from it :)

Having a perl (or Python/Scheme/Tcl/Ruby/...) interface to the high(er) level
routines of PSPP would certainly be an interesting and usefull development.
Unfortunately I'm of the opinion that the internal routines are not yet stable
or consisten enough to be able to define such an interface (although they are
improving).  However, defineing a perl module would be a good way to identify
where we need to work on things.

Specific problems I forsee include:
1. How should the module return its results?  Currently they are embedded in the
code generating the output tables are not well seperated.

i THOUGHT it was the subroutines of C library return the value, then the SPSS program embed them and output.

let me see what i can do about this later

2. In some procedures the syntax parser is inextricably entwined with the statistical
calculations.

hmmm, i don't know this part well now. let me read more doc/source and think about it later

3. Because of legacy we've inherited from SPSS, procedures do not behave consistenly
with respect to missing values and certain defaults.  This would make the perl interface
more awkward or would require a lot a special casing inside the module.

Anyway, I'd be very interested to know how you get along with this project.  Perl
and perl module specific questions are best asked on the relevant perl mailing lists,
but you're welcome to ask for advice about pspp internals here.

honestly, i know 0% about PSPP and its libraries for now. so, i think this task is not easy for me.
there are many C library files of PSPP ( in src directly ). and i'm NEW to C++ too, so,
could you give out a list of C library files that i should focus on? then i don't need to read every file one by one,
that will save me a lot of time.

Thank you for your advices :)

best regards,
laoxie