pspp-dev

New "documentation" branch

From: John Darrington
Subject: New "documentation" branch
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2012 12:49:13 +0100

On Fri, Dec 07, 2012 at 02:50:09PM -0800, Selma Leathem wrote:

  If you don't mind I'd prefer if you check it in please. I
  actually don't think that I have the correct permissions to do it myself
anyway.

Ok.  Done.  I have pushed your changes to a new branch, called "documentation",
under your name.  I made a few very small alterations so that it fitted in with
the rest of the documentation.

I'm glad we've finally got that in!

My view of what needs to be done before we can merge into master:

1. Reading the manual, there is a lack of continuity.  It is as if it were
   3 or 4 separate manuals, written by different authors (which indeed it is!)
   We need to take a wholistic approach to re-arranging things.  Perhaps some
   chapters can be combined.  Some large sections from certain chapters seem to
   belong IMO in different chapters.

2. Some of the screenshots which Selma made, are out of date.  That is, the
dialog
   boxes have changed slightly since the captures were done.    Also, I think it
   is somewhat embarasssing in a GNU manual to have screenshots which were
clearly
   not taken from a GNU operating system.  We will need to redo them.
   Fortunately, I've been working on a system, which makes it fairly easy to
automatically
   generaate screenshots.  Some of the more complex ones may still have to be
manually
   done, but most can be automated.

Anyway, it's great that we now have at least a start to some GUI documentation.
 I'll
check in some minor improvements within the next day or two.

Selma, if you open an account on savannah.gnu.org and apply for membership to
the PSPP
project, then you will be able to checkin furture changes straight away without
having
to go through one of us.

Regards,

John