pspp-dev

PSPPire UI mockup

From: Bastián Díaz
Subject: PSPPire UI mockup
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2013 14:53:06 -0700 (PDT)

Hi, as a last contribution (for now), send a mockup of how it might improve PSPPire UI. The suggestions are based on literature and comments (in consensus) of various PSPP users where I live. The suggestions are rather general.

Suggestions:
- The menus should not show icons: By the level of abstraction of the pictograms and the amount (future) statistical analysis and other functions, would be counterproductive reload icon interface with many similar. Moreover, at present, there are several statistical applications, which follow this line.
- The default toolbar, you can display the most useful features (requiring more access) as well as does SPSS toolbar.
- Unlike as I said earlier, the literature has given me to understand that it's a bad idea to include the analysis on the toolbar. Currently there are few categories, but in the future there will be many more and you could lose valuable time in trying to create a solution (not tested) that exceeds the use of menu.
However, you can include Rapid access features as SPSS. There is a button in SPSS descriptive statistics, whose function is to process all instances of one or more selected variables, under certain parameters (attachment: file output example)

- Integrate output view to the main window PSPPire. Display SPV format files, or edit the results tables, moves away (from my point of view) PSPP's perspective. PSPP is important in delivering results, and manipulation of multiple instances of the GUI, you can use complex.
* I also from all the time I use SPSS files never worked with SPV, always exported and edited with a word processor.

Regards

--
Bastián Díaz