pspp-dev

Re: Translation of documents

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: Translation of documents
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2013 21:43:46 -0700

On Sun, Jul 28, 2013 at 03:35:08PM -0700, Basti??n D??az wrote:
> >Yes.?? This (translating the Texinfo source) sounds like the correct
> >approach.
>

> Okay, that will make things easier.
> By hand, I downloaded and gendocs.sh pspp.texi the web
> (http://benpfaff.org/~blp/pspp-master/latest/user-manual/)
> and I followed the instructions to generate the manual and test
> (https://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/html_node/Invoking-gendocs_002esh.html).
>
> However, I could not achieve generate the file (needed makeinfo). Use
> the - texi2html, and still asks me the file.

If you give us the Texinfo file, we can run gendocs for you.  Or if you
tell us about the problem that you have with gendocs, we can help you
solve it.

> >Do you mean that you want to translate the GNU website for PSPP
> >(www.gnu.org/software/pspp)??? If so, then I am not sure how to proceed.
> >Are there translations for other GNU software websites (other pages in
> >www.gnu.org/software/*) that look to you like good models to follow??? If
> >you know of a good model, then let's follow that model.
>
> Indeed I would like to translate the PSPP website
> (www.gnu.org/software/pspp).  On other websites, I meant that some can
> translate its content into other languages ??????(like www.gnu.org).
>
> Would have to find a model, but I've noticed that some projects have
> their own domains (like gnome)

If having a domain for PSPP would help, we can do that, but I doubt that
it would help.  I guess that we should find a model for a program with
translations that is on gnu.org.

> >Or do you mean that you want to make sure your translated manual is
> >posted on the PSPP website??? We can make sure that that happens, once
> >you have translated enough of the manual that you think it will be
> >useful to readers.?? Is it to that stage yet?
>
> Would be great if you could host the manual. Some have translated
> between 60 or 70% of the manual, although the transfer to texinfo I
> will take some time. Also, I have contacted Manuel Quesada (UI
> translation), who can check my translation.

When you have a Texinfo version of the translated manual ready, even if
it is only a partial translation, please pass it along so that we can
include it with PSPP.