pspp-dev

Re: gtk3: Replaced PsppSheetView with GtkTreeView for the variables wind

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: gtk3: Replaced PsppSheetView with GtkTreeView for the variables window
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2015 11:45:42 +0100

Thanks for the information Ben.  I knew there must have been some reason we
went down that path.

On Sat, Dec 12, 2015 at 06:29:56PM -0800, Ben Pfaff wrote:

     I spent a little time this morning (I'm in Pune, India at the moment)
     going through the Git commits on the pspp-sheet-view code, to refresh my
     memory on why I built it to begin with.  I didn't choose to do it
     lightly and if it was just a matter of using the fixed-row-height mode I
     certainly would have not bothered.

     Looking at the commits, the biggest reason that I built PsppSheetView is
     that GtkTreeView uses O(n) memory (and therefore time as well) for an
     n-row treeview.  This is true even when it has fixed-height rows,
     because it maintains a per-row red-black tree that has one node per row.

It is strange then that Friedrich's and my experiments with many variables but
few cases,
did not bear this out - there must be some other factor dominating.

     (It is pretty much necessary to have some kind of data structure because
     of the ability to have a tree rather than just a list.)

This is a shame, because of course we don't need the tree in our application.

Our current PsppSheetView was forked from GtkTreeView in Gtk2.x

I wonder if we shouldn't look at what is in Gtk3 to see if it helps us at all?

J'

--
Avoid eavesdropping.  Send strong encryted email.
PGP Public key ID: 1024D/2DE827B3