pspp-dev

Re: p value for spearman's correlation

From: Alan Mead
Subject: Re: p value for spearman's correlation
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2020 19:58:40 -0600

On 12/26/2020 2:27 PM, John Darrington wrote:
There is a brief discussion of the issue here:
 https://www.spss-tutorials.com/spearman-rank-correlation/

but again, to be sure, I'd want to review some of the academic literature
first.

John,

I see your point. This tutorial says that for N >= 30, you should use the standard t-test (that's my read). The formula given is:

t = rs * sqrt( N - 2 ) / sqrt( 1 - rs**2 );
df = N - 2;

You then compare this to the t-distribution.

When N<30, he references a permutation test. This test constructs an empirical H0 distribution (similar to something like bootstrapping) based on the assumption that if H0 is true, you can randomly permute the two samples without damaging the correlation. So, one version of this test takes the dataset <X,Y> and constructs a new dataset <S1,S2> where each element of X[i] is randomly assigned to S1 or S2 (and Y[i] is assigned to the other) and Rs is calculated. This is then repeated until you have a sufficient empirical H0 distribution.

This can be done exactly (i.e., each possible permutation can be enumerated) for small N. I'm having trouble visualizing how many values this is... You're making a binary choice for each element, so if you have N=10, that's 2**10 = 1024 possible choices of S1 and S2? But one post suggested that it's 10! = 3.6E6, which is getting big. In samples sizes like 10 < N < 30 you would just choose a large random set of permuted datasets (like bootstrapping).

I guess R spearman_test implements this test and that the test fails if there are ties. I guess we could examine the R code to see how this works?

This paper, https://arxiv.org/pdf/2008.01200.pdf, suggests that the test is flawed both in small samples and in samples with distinctly non-normal underlying data. I don't know what it means to be "normally distributed" for ranks... Ranks are always distributed uniformly unless there are ties. Their method is implemented in the 'perk' library and is also a sampling/resampling approach.

IIRC, the inquiry that started this discussion was about a sample of N = 100. I think PSPP should just report the standard t-test results for all cases. This replicates SPSS bug-for-bug.

Alternatively, I wouldn't be upset if PSPP refuses to print any p-value for N < 30. I think ideally we would add a keyword requesting a more advanced algorithm.

Finally, I don't think any of this discussion bears on why the p-value is missing from the Pearson r in CROSSTABS.

-Alan

--

Alan D. Mead, Ph.D.
President, Talent Algorithms Inc.

science + technology = better workers

http://www.alanmead.org

The irony of this ... is that the Internet is
both almost-infinitely expandable, while at the
same time constrained within its own pre-defined
box. And if that makes no sense to you, just
reflect on the existence of Facebook. We have
the vastness of the internet and yet billions
of people decided to spend most of them time
within a horribly designed, fake-news emporium
of a website that sucks every possible piece of
personal information out of you so it can sell it
to others. And they see nothing wrong with that.

-- Kieren McCarthy, commenting on why we are not
                    all using IPv6