pspp-dev

Re: GIMP vs. rsvg-convert for building PSPP

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: GIMP vs. rsvg-convert for building PSPP
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2022 21:14:59 +0200

When I looked into this some years ago, gimp was the only tool I found that
was capable of filling the TXT block of png files.

On Fri, Jul 22, 2022 at 11:48:03AM -0700, Ben Pfaff wrote:
     PSPP currently uses GIMP to generate PNGs from SVGs. GIMP is
     heavyweight, slow, and commonly not installed on developer systems, so
     we run it from Smake as pre-configuration.

     There's a newer program called rsvg-convert that is much more commonly
     available these days. It is lightweight, fast, and more commonly
     installed (it is a binary that comes with the rsvg library, which is
     itself widely used). It produces good-quality output. I think that we
     could switch to it from GIMP, run it at build time instead of as part
     of Smake, and thereby improve the build process.

     Does anyone have comments on this?