pspp-users

Re: Schedule for next version? & Some Volunteerism

From: Andy Choens
Subject: Re: Schedule for next version? & Some Volunteerism
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 16:00:39 -0400

I won't claim to possess any pre-existing skills at creating reference manuals, since I've never done it before; but I suppose I'm willing to try (especially if someone wants to help me!)

If you guys have thought about this before and there's something I can read to bring myself up to speed, feel free to point a URL @ me. Otherwise, I'll just start with a couple of simple questions . . . .

1) Format -- Would this be a file that will be distributed with PSPP like a built in tutorial like SPSS or a downloadable "manual" or some kind of a web-site / wiki?

2) Use Case - I can think of a couple of important use cases
   A) SPSS user switching to PSPP.
      i)  GUI User
      ii) Syntax Nut

    B) New User to PSPP
      i)  GUI User
      ii) Soon To Be - Syntax Nut

Me thinks these are sufficiently different situations that they probably warrant some specific consideration. Given the discussions I've seen in the archives, it seems like most of the current users are SPSS refugees / programmers. Given the low-profile of the project, that will probably continue to be the largest source of new users for the immediate future (I could be waaay off base here, I'm just talking out my ass).

If we can come up with a set of concrete outcomes, I'll try my hand at something like this.

--andy