pspp-users

Re: Newbie question: How to get readable text or postscript output...at

From: Ben Pfaff
Subject: Re: Newbie question: How to get readable text or postscript output...at least get output that does not truncate Variable Labels at 12 characters
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 09:10:33 -0700

Joe_K <address@hidden> writes:

> 1)  I want to have readable output.  I cannot understand how to get the
> postscript driver to work.  I followed the manual for several hours trying
> to put it into the configuration file.  Nothing worked.
>
> Either there is a bug or I do not understand the syntax --  probably the
> latter.  Can some one send me a version of the "describe" configuration
> file, which has the actual syntax for postscript output in it?  I work much
> better with syntax examples.

You should be able to just invoke pspp with the option "-o
list-ps" to get PostScript output in a file named pspp.ps.

> 2) Another question of readable output.  Short of getting readable
> postscript output, I would like readable text output.  I have a very large
> data set with many variables.  I want to print out a data dictionary, so I
> used the following syntax:
>
> SYSFILE INFO FILE='/home/mydirectory/myfile.sav'.
>
> This spits out output, which truncates the label after about a dozen
> characters.  It is unusable for my purposes because I want to actually print
> out the dictionary listing of variable, variable type, and label
> description, so that I know what the variable field really is.

Hmm.  This sounds like a bug.  I'll make a note to check on this.

By the way, I'm currently in the process of almost completely
rewriting the PSPP output subsystem for the next PSPP release.
It should be much better in the next version.
--
Ben Pfaff
http://benpfaff.org