pspp-users

Re: Importing large file to PSPP hangs (Roberto Roggiero)

From: Harry Thijssen
Subject: Re: Importing large file to PSPP hangs (Roberto Roggiero)
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2014 21:24:55 +0100

I have a database in csv format with 11 million cases (rows) and 10
variables (columns), the file is 500 MB alfa-numeric. I can pass the
first steps of the import process, but when I finally ask for import
the process hangs, without any notice. I understand PSPP is capable to
manage such files (even larger). Any hint?

I don't see a reason why this shouldn work. I recommend to do some debugging.
- try to import 10 cases to see if it works at all
- try to import 110.000 cases and have a look how long it takes. 11 million case shoud take at least 100 times.
- Than try 1,1 million cases and look if it takes about 10 times the previous
- if this still doesn't give a  clue to the problem, try importing a few times with every time greater portions untill you find out by which case number to problem arises

Have fun