pspp-users

Re: PSPP does not allow data entry

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: PSPP does not allow data entry
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2020 09:46:36 +0200

Hello Ryoko,

I don't regularly use Windows or Mac, but I tried on GNU/Linux with both
the released version and the latest HEAD, and couldn't find a problem.

I also managed to borrow a Windows 10 machine to see if I could
reproduce this issue.  Now I'm presuming that what your student
installed was something from Harry Thjissen's Pspp4windows site on
sourceforge? - that seems to be what most Windows users do.

You mentioned an installer labelled 2019-11-09-Daily-32bit.  The most
similar file I saw on that site was 2018-11-09-Daily-32bit (one year
earlier).   Unfortunately I couldn't see the problem you describe using
that either.

When citing version numbers, it's best either to type "pspp --version"
if using the terminal or click the Help->About menu if using the GUI.

The only thing similar to the symtoms you describe is that attempting
to enter a value in an observation when the previous observation is
empty will indeed fail.   That is to say, if there are only 2
observations for a variable, and you attempt to enter a value in row 4
then it'll be blank like you describe.  This is by design - there cannot
be gaps in the data.

Unfortunately GUI errors are hard to describe accurately, because there
are so many ways of doing things, and subtle changes of the user's
input can have different effects.   Maybe it would be possible to get
short video sequence to show the problem your students are seeing?

Also, please note that whilst we try to make pspp work on as wide a
range of systems as possible, GNU and GNU/Linux are what are recommended
and most tested.

Regards,

John