pspp-users

Re: Malformed sav file - need help for investigation

From: John Darrington
Subject: Re: Malformed sav file - need help for investigation
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2020 19:48:03 +0200

I presume that you are creating some web based software which writes
.sav files.

One option that you have, is to use PSPP's perl module instead of
this tiamo package.

J'

On Wed, Jun 10, 2020 at 06:42:19PM +0200, Ign??cz, Istv??n wrote:
     Greetings,

     I think this is not the usual topic on this list, excuse me if you find it
     off-topic.

     I'm facing a tough bug in my software and I'm looking for some help to be
     able to take the next steps.

     Our software generates sav files via tiamo's package:
     https://packagist.org/packages/tiamo/spss
     Usually, everything works fine, but in some cases, we generate malformed
     files. In this case, SPSS crashes without any notice, however, PSPP at
     least gives a useful error message:
     Variable index n refers to long string continuation.

     I cannot reproduce this issue on my side, so I tried to reverse engineer
     the PSPP codebase to find any cases when it could occur. So far not with
     much luck.

     Could you help me with some example cases?

     Thanks for your help,
     Istv??n